Ben Dobbs: International Training and Coaching
© copyright, Benjamin Dobbs, trading as BD Communications (Leadership, Communication, Coaching, Consultancy and Training), 2018, Dublin, Ireland
English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI) ...
About the Course:
An intensive training course aimed at lecturers, academics, researchers and university teaching staff who use English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI) in lectures , seminars, assignments and tutorials.
The training will conclude with observed practice teaching sessions.
Length of Course:
Five days / 30 hours.
- What is special about EMI?
- EMI, EAP and ELF
- Case studies on EMI
- Academic style and tone
- Idioms, idiomatic language and the langauge of academia
- Tenses and voice
- Lecturing techniques and approaches
- Running tutorials
- Leading and facilitating seminars
- Voice, tone and clarity
- Answering questions
- Setting written assignments
- Sequencing ideas
- Models of argument
- Giving instructions
- Intercultural skills, intercultural challenges and EMI
- Accuracy, errors, mistakes and EMI
- Discussion and offering opinions
- GIving written and spoken feedback
- Developing critical thinking skills
- EMI and internationalisation